Two Roaming Beds
Two Roaming Beds, featured in the exhibition DAY by Carsten Höller, offers the unique opportunity for two visitors to spend an entire night inside maat. The two beds, which drift endlessly through the main gallery of the museum, will allow two people to be part of a project conceived to allow visitors to become part of the artwork.
In this work from 2015, Höller invites two visitors to spend a night inside the show alone and experience the exhibition in a different light. The beds, guided by an algorithm and a GPS signal, roam the exhibition like a pair of restless, insomniac twins as the visitors sleep, leaving red or blue pen traces of the beds’ (and the sleepers’) movements all along. With time, these lines add up to form a colossal drawing.
The work also includes a set of special toothpastes that the artist had made using his own recipe. The largest tube contains an activator toothpaste which enhances one’s capacity to remember dreams. The smaller tubes contain three substances that evoke dreams related to the female, male and children’s world. Users can adjust the intensity and outcome of the desired dreams by combining the female, male and children's toothpastes with the activator in different quantities.
The experience is available for two guests on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), from 19.30 to 08.00 upon booking via https://maat.pt/en/tickets.
- Exclusive overnight stay for two people in Two Roaming Beds (from 19.30 to 08.00).
- Exclusive after-hours guided tour to the exhibition.
- Use of Insensatus, a set of dream-enhancing toothpastes to induce and influence male-, female- and child-oriented dreams, designed by Carsten Höller.
- Complimentary water available.
- Morning coffee and biscuits are available.
- Book online at https://maat.pt/en/tickets.
- Check-in period between 19.30 and 20.00 (please observe the times of arrival to guarantee logistics). Guests who have booked a night stay must come to maat’s ticket office and exhibit a valid ID and UE Digital COVID Certificate or a negative test (for guests over 12 years old).
- Check-out period by 08.00.
- Minimum of two people per booking.
- Guests under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Guests are not allowed to let additional people enter the exhibition.
- Guests may bring a small overnight bag that can be stored in the museum’s lockers.
- No food or drink is allowed in the gallery, except for the provided bottled water.
- Random bag search policy is in effect on arrival and departure.
- No pets allowed.
- Gallery security on the premises and on hand at all times.
- All galleries monitored with 24-hour CCTV.
- Guests may leave and return to the gallery at any time during the stay upon justification.
- We recommend comfortable and warm clothing in the event of an emergency.
- Bathrooms are available to night guests but are not equipped with showers.
- Parking is available, but not monitored or placed under any protective surveillance.
- €200 per night (price includes both beds) for the experience on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- €300 per night (price includes both beds) for the experience on Fridays.
- Students are offered a 50% discount.
- Prices are fixed. Water and Insensatus kit are included in the booking.
- Full payment by credit or debit card only at the time of booking.
- Guests must bring their reservation confirmation, a valid photo ID, the card used for booking at check-in and their UE Digital COVID Certificate or a negative test (for guests over 12 years old).
Cancellations, Terms and Conditions of Participation
- Cancellations with full refund can be made up to one week prior to the day of arrival. No refund will be given to cancellations made less than one week prior to the day of arrival.
- When booking, you are confirming that you accept the terms and conditions, which you will be asked to sign at check-in. You can read them here.
- EDP Foundation / maat shall not be liable for any damages or losses of any kind. All claims and rights, other than in respect of death or personal injury, shall be waived by the guests.
- EDP Foundation / maat has the right to refuse access to or remove from the premises, without a refund, those who are intoxicated or behaving inappropriately.